Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wien

So I got into vienna, just before midday. I had a bit of a nothing afternoon, as it was the end of the week and I needed to get my stuff back in order, do my laundry etc. I walked around and got myself a feed.

The next morning I went out for an adventure to check out town. The weather in vienna was much like sydney when I left, rainy, windy and 14 degrees. It was just like being at home. Thankfully I had carried my leather jacket, scarf and beanie all the way through greece and singapore.



The next afternoon my swiss mate that I met in montreal, Michaela was flying in to vienna. We were going to hang out and travel round for a week while she had some time off before starting uni.

I had had a look at the train time tables and we agreed to meet at the Lanstrabe station, hopefully on the 18:44 train. I made my way there and looked up what platform she should be getting in at.

Right on time the train rocked up and she stepped out of the door in the carriage that was right in front of me! Hows that for luck.

She had organised to crash at a friend of a friends place in vienna, so we jumped on the U-bahn and made out way out there. We met the people who lived at this place we were staying at before heading out into town for a look.

We had been recommended this cool little place in the middle of town, just off the touristy strip that did rad pita breads and had their own beers, happy days.



Next morning, after a heaps long sleep we eventually headed into town for a look around midday. We were so reluctant to head out into the world as it had been raining all morning and it was windy and cold.

More random sight seeing was done, as well as hiding from the rain in cafe's, shops and the like. I was also caught on camera looking like a bloody tourist. Another rather random thing we did to get out of the cold and rain was to loiter in shops.

I was also caught on camera looking like a "bloody tourist".



I made the most of this time by trying on womens purple and green skinny jeans, which was good for a laugh and randomed out the girls working in the clothing shops.

The next morning it was beautiful and sunny, so we headed out to Schonbrunn palace, just out of the middle of town. This is one of the biggest attractions in Vienna. It was the scene of some big love storey between this emperor franz joseph bloke and some bird named sissy or something.



A lot of the europeans are supposed to love it. Any way, it was an amazing old palace and gardens, which had huge lawns, heaps of flower beds and bits of forrest. There was also a labyrinth, sculptures scattered thought the grounds and even some fake roman ruins built there a few hundred years ago, because they felt like it.



It was really cool to check out, and the labyrinth was fun as well. It had climbing pole thingos that I had to climb up, as well as some other bits and pieces like this pad with different bells connected to bells like a giant xylophone.

After going through the labyrinth we climbed to the top of the hill, and over looked the palace and gardens, it was super impressive. To get down from there we walked through the woods where I saw my first european squirrels of the trip.



For the afternoon we jumped on the u-bahn and headed over the other side of the danube for an adventure. This led us through a residential building complex, past the Vienna UN offices and into the danube park, and past the danube tower.

And in the eve dinner was found down near the markets, before randomly running into this fantastic little cafe in a side st that also doubled as a second hand furniture shop. There was prices on pretty much everything on the wall and every thing hanging from the roof. Cool concept. And it was hipster central.



The next morning we were off on our next adventure, bratislava.

No comments:

Post a Comment