Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fun and games

I am over in Rochester, Upstate New York as I am writing this.

I have been to Toronto and Hamilton in ontario, where I caught up with my old mate Benny Baker and hung round on the campus of Mc Master uni where he is studying/living in the dorms there.

Benny went of skiing the night I turned up, so we played some left handed table tennis for a while before he went off to ski on some slush, as the weather was warm (got above freezing) and the snow had melted.

In the time he was out I was just chilling in the dorms and I went to put a pot of water on the boil, and the bottom was a little scummy and it had a bit of a burning smell to it.

Right then the fire alarm started screaming it's tits off. I was only wearing my uggies, trackie daks and a hoodie, and it was freezing out. I took my pot of water off and evacuated with the rest of the people in the building. I had a look at the fire indicator panel on the way out though and thankfully the alarm had come up on the third floor, and I was on the fifth.

When he got back we went down the uni bar for beers and shuffle board with some poms, where we ended up loosing as all the aussie sports teams suck at the moment, it is looking like it was going to be the turning point for aussie sports teams but it was not to be.

Here is a pic of me and benny taken out the front of his dorms, note the Roots t-shirt


The next day we we hung round the campus for a while and went for a bushwalk out the back of his uni campus, which was tops but I am sure it would be much nicer in the summer.

Photobucket

I later got picked up by a random interwebs mate, Hoadie from the lee-enfield forum. It was an hour drive to his place over in St Catherines, closer to the US border.

It was there we were to meet with Sean and his wife Christie who I was going to stay with for a few days. I had also come into contact with sean on the lee-enfield forum, and the funny this in the bloke used to live just around the corner from me in Cronulla.

We stopped at Niagra Falls on our way through because it is something you have to do on the tourist trail, particulary when it was on the way to Rochester. I got some semi-decent pictures at night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was so bloody cold part of the falls was frozen. There was also freezing spray coming off the falls and onto the windshield of the car.

We also had a suprisingly easy time crossing the boarder over into the US as well. I have been told that land crossings into the US from Canada can be a little difficult if you are not citizens of those nations. Sean's wife Christy is a US citizen, Sean has a green card and I still had my tourist visa in my passport from when I transfered through San Fran so we got pretty much waved straight through.

I was staying with Sean and his young family, where I have been crashing on the lounge. It is a nice change from staying in backpackers everywhere. The next day we went for a little drive to check out a bit of Lake Ontario. Here is a picture of the local marina.

Photobucket

Yes it was bloody cold, probaly about minus 10 or 15 before windchill.

And I have also been going out shooting. We had good fun with Lee-Enfield 303's, a Klashnikov, some Mosin-Nagants, a Mauser and a few other interesting pieces, incuding a 1911 .45 pistol.

I wanted to take some pictures out at the range, but because it was so cold my camera wasn't working properly, and even one of the shotguns was not working properly.

Here is a picture of some of the shootin' irons I was playing with.

Photobucket
Top to bottom, a semi automatio Klashnikov clone, two Mosin-nagant 91/30's, a No4mk1 Lee-Enfield (Savage made), and two No1mk3* Lee-Enfields, one Lithgow (Australia) and one Enfield (England).

And one of me shooting a Kalashnikov


And an old Nazi marked german K98 mauser. For an old battle rifle the thing was smooth! I now know why so many were hacked up to make hunting rifles after the war.



I am also off to New York/New Jersey tomorrow morning on the train. It will take seven hours. There I will catching up with my mate Joey from Jersey. I met joey a few weeks back in Vancouver and he has very kindly offered to put me up for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment