Thursday, February 5, 2009

More from whistler

People in wistler don't realise that it isn't 2004 any more, with me randomly encountering this Flashmob in the middle of town last thursday at quarter past 5, where someone blew a whistle and a heap of people rushed into the town square and had a massive pillow fight for a minute then ran off when the next whistle blew.



And I saw a funny thing in the supermarket as well, goats milk. Maybe Lucky could do with some.

Photobucket

After the last blog post I went into the GLC in whister and saw two awesome Vancouver indy pop acts, Adeline who is a solo singer songwriter and Hey Ocean! who are a four piece band.

While I was in there I met this lovely young couple from over near Margaret river in WA. They were on their honeymoon and wanted to catch a band they could do some dancing to, and we got our dance on to Adeline.

They left after the support and I continued to dance like an idiot for Hey Ocean's set.

I also had a quiet one on Sunday, as the mountain fills up with weekend skiiers.

I did however head into town on Sunday afternoon, as the Superbowl is on. Being unfamiliar with gridiron I was rather confused with the rather lenghty going ons of American football.

By the time I got into the pub it was the start of the second half of the 60 minute game. Well the second half took two hours! I bumped into an aussie bloke who was staying in my lodge a few nights before and I hung round with him and tried to figure out how the game worked.

I was going for Arizona, who in a nail biter clawed their way back into the lead, but lost in the last 30 seconds of the game, which sucked. The pub also gave away some t-shirts for various NFL teams, so I grabbed one, a medium, which is like an XL back home. No idea what teams logo was on the front either, but it made a good layering shirt for skiing. I will try and shrink in a dryer later on.

When Monday rolled round I was keen to get up on the mountain again as there had been some more snow, and I skied all day, even if it was a little overcast.

I got straight up to the mountain on Tuesday morning as well, where portie hooked me up with a cheap lift ticket. He was working on the top of the "Magic" chair, which is at the base of Blackcomb on their beginner slope. I hung round with him and chatted randomy for about and hour, and played with the glovedog which randomly turned up.

Photobucket

This dog had a pink childs glove in it's mouth. We were not sure if there was a girl trapped in a well or under and avalance somewhere, or if the dog had eaten the said child. We were just throwing this glove round for the dog to fetch, which was pretty good.

And here is a pic of porte hard at work on the lift's.

Photobucket

I went back up the mountain, where it was lovely and sunny above the low clowd that was about one third of the way up the hill. It was an unreal day skiing up there, and I started smashing the blue runs on Blackcomb. I had some of these runs to myself on Blackcomb which was tops.

Have a go at "Merlins" here on Blackcomb, as seen from the Wizard chair

Photobucket

I later went on the peak2peak gondola, connecting the top stations of Whistler and Blackcomb. It streatches over 4km's between the mountains, with an unsupported span some something like 3km's! It is amazing that they were able to put the thing up there.

Here is the view from one side of the gondola

Photobucket

Passing another gondola

Photobucket

The view down to the village

Photobucket

In the middle of the span looking at the creek running between the mountains.

Photobucket

And here is a pic of town from whistler when the cloud cleared.

Photobucket

And here are my ski's for the time I was here, my blue planks of radness, Carnage and Destruction.

Photobucket

After I returned my gear to Spicy I met up with Lori and some of her friends for dinner and a few drinks in the GLC, in my opinion one of the better pubs in Whistler.

Here is a picture of us, possibly auditioning for the Wiggles.

Photobucket

And a proper photo so our mums know we actually met up.

Photobucket

Tonight I am heading into another local pub where I am catching up with everyone, and I am staying one night in Lori's share house before heading back to Vancouver

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff matey. Them.s sure is some big hills! The Silver Fox

    ReplyDelete