Thursday, February 26, 2009

What a prick of a day (15 Feb 09)

I didn't really sleep on the Saturday night, although I did get get up at half past four as i had to get a 0700 flight to Toronto, followed by a train trip to Montreal.

I quickly packed the rest of my things and jumped in the shower. I spent too long on the so wonderfully warm shower, then because the sink didn't have a plug it took me a while to shave because I was always turning the tap on and off (should have done it the night before.... or improvsed a plug made from some paper towel like I do now).

I just missed the 0528 bus to the airport by like a minute and had to wait half an hour for the next one, in Vancouver before sun up, it was cold and lame. Once I was on the bus though I was there in about 15 minutes.

The bus drops you about a kay or so from the airport at a little terminal where a few busses drop people off to get the shuttle, which runs every 15 minutes or so. I jumped on the second bus and I was quickly off. When the bus stopped at Vancouver International I stayed on, as I was catching a domestic flight. I made the rookie error of not asking if it drops people at the domestic terminal.

It dosen't.


So I went round in a loop and ended up back where I started. And the next bus wasn't for another 15 minutes... epic fail.

I eventually got into the airport around 0610, so I should have had plenty of time. I eventually got through the line at around quarter past and when I went to check in it turned out Air Canada hadn't listed me properly when I rang reservations the day before. The operator confused the E in my sirname with an A (aussie accent) and because of that I could not check in. I had to ring up reservations again and re-list, as they couldn't do it there at the airport.

By the time I had done that and gotten to bag check it was 0630 and the flight had closed, although Air Canada staff were able to check my bags and possibly get me on if I can get through security in time.

I couldn't. The security line was about 40 minutes long. And then when I was in the line I went to pull out my toletries bag from my carry on, as in this "age of terror" that we live in we have to pull all liquids and pastes out of your carry on for inspection.

I eventually got through the security line and got to the gate, where I had missed my flight. The gate staff were helpful and listed me on the next flight, in an hour.

I then went to look in my bag for my tickets wallet. It is slighty larger than an airline ticket, but thicker. It has all handy things like spare VISA cards, something like CAD$200, my insurance details, a mobile phone SIM and other handy things. I normally keep my passport in there as well but I had that in my pocket for boarding.

I opened up my bag and I couldn't find the bloody thing. I started to stress a bit and I ran around like a headless chook around the airport trying to find the bloody thing, which I thought was dropped in the security line when I went to get the toothpaste out, as that was the last time I had seen it.

Failing to find anything I got on the 0815 flight enroute to Toronto. It was a three and a half hour flight but we arrived at 1600 due to crossing a few time zones and delays at Van.

It then took 45 minutes for my bag to come out and I still had to get into the train station in the middle of Toronto. I got on the bus, then took the metro into Union Station.

I was supposed to be on the half past four train to Montreal but there was no way I was going to make that one. I got into Union Station in the middle of Toronto at at half past six, and I quickly made my way over to the VIA Rail counter to see if I could get on a train that night.

I gave the bloke at the ticket office my booking reference and he said the next train was leaving in two minutes, and if I hurried I could make it. He printed off my tickets and I then got my Amazing Racer on and dashed through the train station with my pack on my back searching for the platform.

I quickly found the platform and ran up the stairs and jumped into my assigned carriage. And even before I had my pack off they had closed the doors and we were on our way.

I then had a rather uneventful five and a half hour trip to Montreal. This train stopped everywhere so it took longer than normal, an express will get you between the two citys in four and a half hours.

I basicall sat back and chilled, and listened to some slow happy female singer-songwriter music to relax myself at the end of a rather long and tiring day.

I did however loose my shit when I saw the snacks cart with a bottle of chocky milk on it! I love the stuff and I could not find any in western Canada so that made me happy.

I eventually got into Montreal, just after midnight and instead of walking the few blocks to my hostel I decided to get a taxi for like $6 and save walking through the snow in a city I didn't know looking for a place to stay.

I got in to the hostel at about half past 12 and I collapsed into bed.

At least I had an adventure eh! ..... Oh dear, I am stating to talk like the locals

1 comment:

  1. That was bad luck mate, lucky things turned out for the best. Jen

    ReplyDelete